At a time when more children are spending the time between 2pm and 6pm unsupervised, the need for quality after-school programming is great.
After-School and Summer Programs
The missions of the After-School and Summer Programs are:
- Help youth improve their performance in school and facilitate graduation.
- Individualized instruction designed to a learning progress.
- Provide a safe place for young people to gather and learn.
- Extend the school day both after school and in the summer months.
In order to meet our goals the After-School & Summer Program offers a research-based curriculum in math and reading.
We have three main components to the After-School & Summer Programs:
- Homework Assistance – We schedule 45 minutes of mandatory homework support Monday through Thursday. Time is planned into each student’s daily schedule. Typically, students are able to complete their homework in the allotted time if they remained focused and working. Of course, students are encouraged to be as independent in their work as possible but MYDC After-School staff do provide assistance and strategies when needed. Although every student is different, Staff will work to help each student get as much homework completed as possible. Additionally, the quantity and the degree of difficulty can vary by grade, class, and student. Lastly, we provide some small group tutoring (Reading & Math) to help struggling learners.
- Enrichment Component – The focus of this component is to enrich the lives of our students by increasing voluntary participation in various clubs or activities. Involvement in these activities is intended to enhance the skill level and improve knowledge of content. Ultimately, the outcomes are growing self-confidence, self-discipline, and goal setting. Actually, students are able to identify unknown talents, gift, and passions.
- Alternative Activities – Through alternative activities, MYDC After-School expects to decrease the amount of unmonitored and unstructured time by strategically increasing safe, supervised youth centered activities (free of ATOD, violence, etc).
21st Century Y.E.S. College / P.A.S.S. Program (6-12)
The 21st Century Y.E.S. College will offer various courses for students entering 6th through 12th Grades, to select from each area of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math). Courses will be led by Pennsylvania Certified teachers.
A component of the Y.E.S. College program will be the P.A.S.S. program. The purpose of this program is to provide academic support in STEAM/Communication subjects. Each student will have the support of the student advocate. The student advocate will develop an individual academic success program for each child to ensure their success and improve their grades in STEAM related subjects.
- Academic Enrichment
- Music Production
- Skill Building
- Video Production & more